viernes, 29 de abril de 2016

Lesson 71. Breaking the mould

 Watching the English, not judging them, just watching them I've learnt their way of dealing with other human beings. Lately I'm even putting it into practice in my wish of understanding them, or because I'd truly love to become part of them.

  There's a TV program, "Very British Problems", quite humorous, self-critical and probably slightly extreme though also accurate. It consists of little sketches in a row studded with some British celebrities' opinions about the British rarenesses. One of them was intended entirely for dealing with others, social relations, etc. The fact of calling themselves "socially pathological" made my eyes pop out. Any trivial conversation may be an embarrasing moment for them. Beyond that, if they have to handle feelings they will run away terrified. 

  How in heck do they manage then? There are (alcoholfree) strategies. Say it with a card (letter, email, note....). So there I was , at 'the card factory' shop, in desperate search for a "thank you" card to avoid my workmate the embarrasing moment of my sincere thank you for her help and support after she has been tutoring me with a specific nursing clinic every other week for three months. Happily I found one that was perfect, then I got some chocolate bonbon and I left them in her drawer. Her answer (an email) was instant and full of tenderness. This morning she came to my room and gave me a tight hug (....so....in the end is not going to be true that they can't manage openly their emotions, can they? Or it's just this special woman, an experienced nurse, so familiar with the human condition who is not afraid of expose herself although it implies to express her feelings and also to listen to other's). I shouldn't have surprised at all coming from her. However I'm afraid she is one of these wonderful exceptions that breaks the mould.



 
  Observando a los ingleses, no juzgándoles, sólo observándoles he aprendido su manera de tratar a otros seres humanos. Últimamente incluso lo estoy poniendo en práctica en mi deseo de comprenderlos o porque verdaderamente me encantaría llegar a formar parte de ellos.

  Hay un programa de TV, "Very British Problems", bastante cómico, autocrítico y probablemente algo extremo aunque también certero. Consiste en pequeños esqueches consecutivos salpicados por la opinión de algunos personajes famosos acerca de las rarezas británicas. Uno de ellos estuvo dedicado enteramente a cómo lidiar con los demás, las relaciones sociales, etc. Me sorprendió muchísimo el hecho de que se autodenominaran "patológicos sociales". Cualquier conversación trivial puede ser para ellos un momento embarazoso. Más aún, si tienen que manejar sentimientos huirán aterrorizados.

 Entonces, cómo narices se las arreglan? Hay estrategias (no alcohólicas). Dilo con una tarjeta (carta, correo electrónico, nota...). De modo que allí estaba yo, en la tienda "La fábrica de tarjetas" en búsqueda desesperada de una tarjeta de "gracias" para evitar a mi compañera de trabajo el embarazoso momento de mi sincero agradecimiento por su apoyo y ayuda después que ella me ha estado tutorando con un programa específico de enfermería, nuevo para mí, cada dos semanas durante tres meses. Felizmente encontré una que era perfecta, luego compré unos bombones y los dejé en su cajón. Su respuesta ( un correo electrónico) fue inmediata y llena de ternura. esta mañana vino a mi consulta y me dio un abrazo apretado (...así que... al final no va a ser cierto que no pueden manejar abiertamente sus emociones, no?) O es sólo esta mujer especial, una enfermera experimentada, tan acostumbrada a la condición humana que no tiene miedo a exponerse aunque ello implique expresar sus sentimientos y también escuchar los de los demás). No debería haberme sorprendido viniendo de ella. Sin embargo me temo que ella es una de esas maravillosas excepciones que rompen el molde.
 

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario