jueves, 22 de enero de 2015

Lesson 31. Dire afternoon

Yesterday I pickep my son up fron school as usual and I drove towards my husband's work because he had his car at the garage in other town for a routine check. I stopped in a gas station to refuel, in my way to the factory, because the petrol tank was almost empty. After the brief stop I noticed that the engine didn't work normally, at the same time a warning light was flashing on the dashboard. I pressed the emergency button and tried to park on the roadside. What`s happening???. Then I realised what it was: I had filled the tank with DIESEL instead regular gasoline. I started to sweat and I thought "I dropped a bollock". That road is full of vehicles and it hasn't a proper hasd shoulder. I was very close to the main gate of a pretty cottage, so the best option was to push the car into its garden. Nobody was in the house to help us, therefore my son and I pushed the car to move it, but it was too heavy. Finally I phoned a friend which came whith her daughter. Can you imagin the scene? two medium aged ladies and their children attempting to take a broken car out a minor road... We were exhausted but we finally got move the car to a safety place. I wrote a note to the cottage's owner with my details and a short explanation about why an unknown car was parked in their property; and I left it on my car's windscreen.
After an hour, at home yet, I received a call from a nice old lady: "Don't worry about it, dear....it's not the first time we have a broken car in our garden. Thank you for leaving a note". Absolutely lovely. My husband had a words with the insurance company and with a local mechanical garage. Today the tow truck has done its work and now we're waiting for the bill while we cross our fingers.



Ayer recogí a mi hijo del colegio como siempre y conduje hacia el trabajo de mi marido porque tenía su coche en el taller de otra ciudad para una revisión rutinaria. Paré en la gasolinera para repostar porque el depósito estaba casi vacío. Tras la breve parada noté que el motor no funcionaba con normalidad, a la vez que un piloto de aviso se encenció en el salpicadero.  Apreté el boton de emergencia y traté de aparcar a un lado de la carretera.¿Qué está pasando? Entonces me dí cuenta de lo que era: había llenado el depóstico con DIESEL en vez de gasolina. Empecé a sudar y pensé: "la he cagado". Esa carretera está a tope de vehiculos y no tiene arcen propiamente dicho. Estaba muy cerca de la entrada de una bonita casa de campo, así que lo mejor era empujar el coche al jardín. No había nadie en la casa para ayudarnos, por lo que mi hijo y yo empujamos el coche para moverlo, pero pesaba demasiado. Al final llamé por teléfono a una amiga que vino con su hija. ¿Podéis imaginar el panorama? dos señoras de mediana edad y sus niños intentando sacar un coche averiado de una carretera secundaria...Estábamos agotadas pero finalmente conseguimos mover el coche a un lugar seguro. Escribí una nota al dueño de la casa con mis datos y una breve explicación acerca de por qué un coche desconocido estaba aparcado en su propiedad; y la dejé en el parabrisas del coche.
Tras una hora, ya en casa, recibí la llamada de una señora mayor y agradable: "No se preocupe, querida....no es la primera vez que tenemos un coche averiado en nuestro jardín. Gracias por dejar una nota". Absolutamente encantadora. Mi marido tuvo unas palabras con la compañia de seguros y con un taller local. Hoy la grúa ha hecho su trabajo y ahora estamos esperando la factura mientras cruzamos los dedos.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario