jueves, 27 de noviembre de 2014

Lesson 23. Tea time

27th/11/14

This country is changing some of my customs slowly. I don't care, really. In fact it makes me happy if it helps me to enjoy the green life. I mean the issue of the tea. I've never been a great supporter of this hot drink....but amazingly, I'm becoming a friend of it. I prefer early grey tea with brown sugar and no milk (thanks); but there are lots of varieties, from the classical breakfast tea till the sophisticated and aromatics ones. Fortunately for my visitors, the kettle was forgotten at home by my landlord, and I can use it everytime. There's no English home without one of them. An authentic British prefers to die before having a cup of tea if the water isn't boiled in the kettle (using microwaves is an unforgivable sin).  I usually have one cup if somebody comes home or if  I meet someone in the town centre. The famous tea time doesn't exist, but in the restaurants or coffee shops adverts. Because each moment is good for tea. Less than two minutes you come to a friend's house, they'll offer you a cup of tea, and if you refuse it, they'll insist: "are you sure?". I bet it is their way to say you're very welcome. It's very common to do the same when somebody is working for you at home as well, for instance, the gardener or the person who is repairing your washing machine. It is allowed to have a cup of tea during the class and I've seen some shops assistants or cashiers with their hot cartboard glasses discreetly hidden under the displays. For further information, you' ll be very welcome with a cup of tea.


Este país está cambiando algunas de mis costumbres lentamente. En realidad no me importa. De hecho me hace feliz si ello me ayuda a disfrutar de la vida verde. Me refiero al asunto del té. Nunca he sido muy aficionada a él...pero sorprendentemente, me estoy haciendo amiga suya. Prefiero el té earl grey con azúcar moreno y sin leche (gracias); pero hay muchísimas variedades, desde el clásico té de desayuno hasta los sofisticados y aromáticos. Por suerte para mis visitas el hervidor de agua fue olvidado en casa por el propietario, y puedo usarlo en cualquier momento. No hay hogar inglés sin uno de ellos. Un auténtico británico prefiere morir antes de tomarse una taza de té si el agua no ha sido hervida en la "kettle" (usar el microondas es un pecado imperdonable). Suelo tomarme un té si viene alguien a casa o he quedado en el centro. La famosa hora del té no existe salvo en los anuncios de restaurantes y cafeterías. Porque cada momento es perfecto para el té. Antes que pasen dos minutos cuando llegas a casa de un amigo te ofrecerán una taza de té, y si declinas la invitación, insistirán: "estás segura?". Apuesto que es su manera de darte la bienvenida. Es muy habitual también hacer lo mismo si alguien trabaja en casa para tí, por ejemplo el jardinero o el técnico de la lavadora. Está permitido tomar un té en clase y he visto algunos dependientes y cajeros con sus vasos de cartón calientes discretamente escondidos bajo el mostrador. Para más información, serán bienvenidos con una taza de té.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario