lunes, 11 de enero de 2016

Lesson 63: The English patient

  My experience as a nurse here is still little. Nevertheless I already have my own bunch of funny yarns since I started to work at a local Surgery barely six months ago. The English patients have made me laugh like the Spanish ones used to do it in the old times, so I have to conclude there are many likenesses between them although there are some differences too.

  I will tell you a secret that works fine here but not in Spain: at the time you welcome the patient with a big smile if you say "sorry for the delay, by the way" (even though the delay is just three minutes) the English patient will answer you "oh it's ok, you were busy, weren't you?" or "no problem, I understand every patient deserves enough time". Furthermore if the delay is much longer they will understand and never complain for the waiting. Of course I try to carry out all my tasks on time but unfortunately not always it's possible.

  That time when I named out loud the patients at the waiting room and nobody answered (because my pronountiation wasn't good enough) thankfully passed by. I'm still not able to do it totally right but I have a trick:   I ask politely to the previous patient, before he leaves, to say it for me and they always help me and find it funny.

  Speaking generally the English patient is polite, hardly ever rushes off and has lots of patience. Most of them ask me how I am and wish me a nice day. At this point the NHS might seem the paradise on Earth for a nurse. Well I don't complain. I feel good, highly appreciated by both colleagues and patients and motivated to know deeper the system and the procedures. My best reward is that the patient make the next appointment with me as they can choose. Some of them have done it although I have 'tell them off' for drinking alcohol to excess or being overweight. I don't know, I think they find comic my Spanish accent, my name and my manners. I also find them funny. This is a dead heat just yet.

 

  Mi experiencia como enfermera aquí es aún poca. Sin embargo ya tengo mi propio ramillete de acnécdotas divertidas desde que empecé a trabajar en un Centro de Salud local apenas hace seis meses. Los pacientes ingleses me han hecho reir como los españoles solían hacer en los viejos tiempos, por lo que he de concluir que hay muchas similitudes entre ellos aunque también algunas diferencias.

  Os diré un secreto que funciona aquí pero no en España: al tiempo que das la bienvenida al paciente con una gran sonrisa si dices "por cierto, perdone por el retraso" (inculso aunque el retraso sea de sólo tres minutos) el paciente inglés contestará "oh, está bien, estaba usted ocupada, no?" o "sin problema, entiendo que cada paciente merece su tiempo". Mas aún si el retraso es mucho mayor lo entenderán y nunca protestarán por la espera. Por supuesto yo trato de realizar todas mis tareas a tiempo pero por desgracia no siempre es posible.

  Aquel tiempo en que cuando nombraba a los pacientes en voz alta en la sala de espera y nadie contestaba (porque mi pronunciación no era suficientemente buena) a Dios gracias pasaron. Aún no soy capaz de hacerlo del todo bien pero tengo un truco: Le pido educadamente al paciente anterior, antes de que se vaya, que me lo diga y ellos siempre me ayudan y lo encuentran hasta divertido.

  En general el paciente Inglés es educado, casi nunca tiene prisa y tiene mucha paciencia. La mayoría me preguntan cómo estoy y me desean un buen día. Por ahora podría parecer que el NHS es el paraíso terrenal para una enfermera. Bien, no me quejo. Me siento bien, muy valorada tanto por mis colegas como por los pacientes y motivada para conocer mejor el sistema y los procedimientos. Mi mejor recompensa es que el paciente pida la siguiente cita conmigo ya que pueden elegir. Algunos lo han hecho aunque les haya 'reñido' por beber demasiado alcohol o estar pasados de peso. No lo sé, creo que encuentran cómico mi acento español, mi nombre y mis modales. A mí también me lo parecen ellos. Por ahora estamos empatados.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario