martes, 2 de julio de 2019

Last lesson. Now that I am bilingual

  Now that I know how to serve tea, now that I 've, at last, assumed that a lovely day just means a dry one; now that thank you and sorry easily represent half of my daily speech routine; now that I can watch telly without subtitles; now that I've got used to the carpet and the steep stairs and the low ceilings; now that I use the kettle everyday; now that I can sleep although the sun rises at 4 am; now that I'm an enthusiast of the second hand market; now that I can be in charge of the "hook a duck" stall at the school Summer Fair and deal with the little ones and their parents; now that I'm certain that a sunny Saturday implies a barbeque day and consequently a rush off to Morrison's to get the meat before they run out because absolutely everyone thinks the same; now that I've learned to drive amongst the mobility scooters; now that I wouldn't even consider to have less than a pint of beer each time; now that we've built a life in this charming market town; now that I use acronyms at every step; now that we've made friends that feel like family; now that the green landscape is part of myself; now that I am bilingual (just kidding)... Finally it's over. It's time to go back home. It feels unreal how many enriched, shocking, ridiculous, stressful, hilarious, crazy, thrilling, frustrating, happy, depressing, bright and dark situations and moments I have accumulated in these years.

  Today I already know that I will miss some things for sure. Summer picnics, walking in the woods, my bakery, the pubs, the glorious gardens, the stunning Burghley House, the countryside, the instant messages with Lee-Ann at work, the hog roast, London street markets, live music everywhere, the view from St. Mary's hill, Mrs. Rudkin -the school receptionist- , The Wine Bar patio garden, Easton on the Hill, Uffington, Rutland Water beach, our New Year pantomime treat , Bourne swimming-pool, Recreation ground and above all, the Spanish community with its French extension and the Latin crazy girls.

  We've done a great deal of new and very British things. We've explored half country and a bit of Walles. We've worked hard and we've played hard too. We've mixed with them and taken great pleasure from the fact of being the only foreigners around so many times... I have a formed opinion about England and its people. I love England when it's sunny. I love its people in the short distance.

  The green life is over. So this blog is. Thank you for being my secret refuge over the last eighteen hundred days. Big thanks to those who have virtually joined me in such personal journey. See you soon, my friends!



   Ahora que sé como servir el té; ahora que, por fin, he asumido que un día bonito significa solo que no llueva; ahora que gracias y lo siento fácilmente representan la mitad de mi discurso normal a diario; ahora que puedo ver la tele sin subtítulos; ahora que me he acostumbrado a la moqueta, las escaleras empinadas y los techos bajos; ahora que uso la herbidora todos los días; ahora que puedo dormir aunque el sol salga a las 4 de la mañana; ahora que soy una entusiasta del mercado de segunda mano; ahora que puedo estar a cargo del puesto "pesca un pato" en la feria de verano del cole y lidiar con los peques y sus papás; ahora que sé que un sábado de sol implica día de barbacoa y correr a Morrison's a conseguir carne antes de que se acabe porque absolutamente todo el mundo piensa igual; ahora que he aprendido a conducir entre los carritos motorizados de los discapacitados; ahora que ni siquiera consideraría tomar menos cantidad que una pinta de cerveza cada vez; ahora que hemos construido nuestra vida en este pueblo con encanto; ahora que utilizo siglas cada dos por tres; ahora que hemos hecho amigos que se sienten como familia; ahora que el paisaje verde forma parte de mí misma; ahora que soy bilingüe (es broma!)... Finalmente se acabó. Es hora de volver a casa. Parece irreal cuántos momentos y situaciones enriquecedoras, chocantes, ridículas, estresantes, divertidas, locas, emocionantes, frustrantes, felices, deprimentes, brillantes y oscuras he acumulado en estos años.

  Hoy ya sé que,seguro, echaré de menos algunas cosas. Los picnic en verano, pasear por los bosques, mi panadería, los pubs, los gloriosos jardines, la asombrosa Burghley house, el campo, los mensajes con Lee-Ann en el trabajo, los bocatas de cerdo asado, los mercadillos de Londres, música en directo por todas partes, la vista desde St. Mary's Hill, la señora Rudkin -recepcionista del colegio-, el patio trasero de The Wine Bar, Easton on the Hill, Uffington, la playa de Rutland Water, nuestro regalo de año nuevo -pantomima en el Arts Centre-, la piscina de Bourne, el parque y, sobre todo, la comunidad española con su extensión francesa, y las locas de las latinas.

  Hemos hecho un montón de cosas nuevas y muy británicas. Hemos explorado medio país y un poco de Gales. Hemos trabajado duro y nos hemos divertido mucho. Nos hemos mezclado con ellos y difrutado con gran placer del hecho de ser los únicos extranjeros del lugar muchas veces. Tengo una opinión formada de Inglaterra y de sus gentes. Me encanta cuando hace sol. Me encantan en la distancia corta.

  Se acabó la vida verde. También este blog. Gracias por ser mi refugio secreto durante los ultimos mil ochocientos días. Muchísimas gracias a todos los que virtualmente me habéis acompañado en tan personal viaje. Hasta pronto, amigos!

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario