domingo, 3 de septiembre de 2017

Lesson 94. Walking by the seashore

  One of the pleasures of my summers on the beach, recently resumed, has been to walk on my own or accompanied by the seashore. During my last holiday in the South of Spain where the sun shines unswervingly and  the bodies joyfully receive its warm sun rays, I've walked on my bare feet feeling the wet sand and the fresh water stroking my ankles. I used to walk unconcernedly, perhaps distracted by the seagulls or entertaining myself with the footprints that others before me had left on the ground.  This time I've been entirely mindful of the gifts that the summer gives away to us. My tanned skin will barely lasts a couple of weeks but the memory of the heat on my body and the gentle breeze on my face will remain hopefully much longer because I need it like the air I breathe.

  One afternoon while I was walking on the beach I came across with a lady in her late fifties or early sixties, nice figure, sunglasses on and a ponytail at the back of her head. She was top less, nothing unusual actually, but in this case, she didn't want to hide her scars on her flat chest. She, clearly reconciled with a bitter episode of her life and with her new image, was lively chatting with her partner and obviously something like that catches your eye even though you want to be discreet. I quickly took my eyes out of her and thought how tough life must  have been for her at some point and how strong and confident and happy she must be now. I realized then that we, as human beings, are stronger than we reckon. And this image is what I'd love to remember when my days aren't so bright. That and holding hands with my partner.

  There have been plenty of laughs and good simple moments this summer: crowded houses, noisy children and family, delicious fish and magic nights, new and old friends, cuddles and love and some precious moments to reflect and read and rest. Just what I needed to turn over this new leaf. Let's go for it. I, by the by, love September.




   Uno de los placeres de mis veranos en la playa, recientemente retomados, ha sido pasear sola o acompañada por la orilla del mar. Durante mis últimas vacaciones en el sur de a España donde el sol brilla sin titubeos y los cuerpos reciben alegremente sus cálidos rayos, he caminado descalza sintiendo la arena mojada y el agua fresca acariciando mis tobillos. Solía pasear despreocupadamente, quizá distraída con las gaviotas o entreteniéndome con las huellas que otros habían dejadollama antes en el suelo. Esta vez he sido plenamente consciente de los regalos con el que el verano nos obsequia. Mi piel bronceada durará apenas un par de semanas pero el recuerdo del calor sobre mi cuerpo y la suave brisa en mi cara espero que permanecerá mucho más ya que lo necesito como el aire que respiro.

  Una tarde mientras iba paseando por la playa me crucé con una señora de cincuenta y largos o sesenta y pocos, bonita figura, gafas de sol y pelo recogido en una coleta. Iba sin la parte de arriba del bikini, nada inusual en realidad, pero en su caso no quería ocultar las cicatrices sobre su pecho plano. Ella, claramente reconciliada con un amargo episodio de su vida y con su nueva imagen, iba charlando animadamente con su compañero y, obviamente, algo así llama tu atención aunque quieras ser discreta. Rápidamente aparté la vista y pensé qué dura debía haber sido la vida para ella en algún momento y qué fuerte, segura y feliz debía ser ahora. Me di cuenta entonces de que nosotros, como seres humanos, somos más fuertes de lo que creemos. Y ésta es la imagen que me gustaría recordar cuando mis días no sean tan brillantes. Esa y cogerme de las manos de mi compañero.

  Han habido muchas risas y buenos momentos, sencillos, este verano: casas atestadas, familia y niños ruidosos, pescado delicioso y noches mágicas, nuevos y viejos amigos, abrazos y cariño y algunos valiosos momentos para pensar y leer y descansar. Justo lo que necesitaba para empezar esta nueva etapa. Vamos a por ello. Me encanta septiembre, dicho sea de paso.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario