miércoles, 28 de junio de 2017

Lesson 91. Beyond the fringe

  I've just googled "hairdressers in Stamford" and eighteen hairdressing salons have come up. There are more but not all of them are advertised in the internet. I've been wondering for a long time why this type of business is so successful and all of a sudden the answer came in mind: the fringe. I can't give you any statistics about it but there is a fact that immediately catches the eye of the meticulous spectator. The majority of the women over fifty years old sports a fringe and I wouldn't ignore that loads of the under fifty's do it too. Obviously to keep that hairstyle they need to get it cut periodically.

  My experience with hairdressers is quite short otherwise. I've never got my hair cut in a hairdressing salon in this country. Prices are too high even if the work isn't done by the senior but by an apprentice. I've been told one girl went to get her highlights done once and she had to pay over £150 (are you kidding me?, no, I'm not!). Please note this is not London. This. Me  is a 20 thousand population lovely town in the middle of East Midlands, that means, in the middle of the countryside. However I pay a visit to Melvyn Patrick every two months or so where I take my son to get his hair cut. It's a fascinating activity for a rainy afternoon. I behold the hairdresser while she works thoroughly with the machine and then with the scissors and at last with her own hands spreaded with wax to get that especial finishing touch. I feel an irresistible attraction by the people who works with their hands. I can't take my eyes out of them if they are working. All the magic ends when you have to pay and it's a different price depending on the age of the customer and the day of the week. Well I've found that out not that long ago. Before knowing it I used to play a game such as guess how much will I be charged?

  I'll just add that "Beyond the fridge" is not only a very convenient metaphor in this post. It actually exists and it's located in Broad St. next to my favourite bakery....but the bread is an important issue that deserves its own chapter.....perhaps other day.




  Acabo de buscar en Google "peluqueros en Stamford" y han aparecido dieciocho peluquerías. Hay más pero no todas se anuncian en internet. Me he estado preguntando mucho tiempo por qué este tipo de negocio tiene tanto éxito y de repente la respuesta se me ha venido a la cabeza: el flequillo. No puedo daros ninguna estadística al respecto pero hay un hecho que inmediatamente llama la atención del observador meticuloso. La mayoría de las mujeres por encima de cincuenta años llevan flequillo y no ignoraría que muchas de las de menos de cincuenta también. Obviamente para mantener ese estilo necesitan cortárselo periódicamente. 

  Mi experiencia con peluqueras es bastante limitada en cualquier caso. Nunca me he cortado el pelo en una peluquería en este país. Los precios son demasiado altos incluso si el trabajo no te lo hace la peluquera senior sino una aprendiz. Me contaron que una chica fue a hacerse las mechas una vez y tuvo que pagar más de 150 libras (estás de coña? No, no lo estoy!). Por favor nótese que esto no es Londres sino un encantador pueblo de 20 mil habitantes en mitad de East Midlands, o sea en mitad del campo. Sin embargo visito Melvyn Patrick cada dos meses o así, donde llevó a mi hijo a cortarse el pelo. Es una actividad fascinante para una tarde lluviosa. Contemplo a la peluquera mientras trabaja concienzudamente con la máquina y luego con las tijeras y al final con sus propias manos untadS de cera para dar ese especial toque final. Siento una atracción irresistible hacia las personas que trabajan con las manos. No puedo quitar los ojos de ellos mientras están trabajando. Toda la magia acaba cuando hay que pagar y es un precio distinto dependiendo de la edad del cliente y del día de la semana. Bueno eso lo he averiguado no hace tanto. Antes de saberlo solía jugar a un juego tipo adivina cuanto te van a cobrar.

  Sólo añadiré que "Más allá del flequillo" no es solamente una metáfora muy conveniente en esta entrada. En realidad existe y está situado en la calle Ancha junto a mi panadería favorita....pero el pan es un asunto importante que merece su propio capítulo....quizá otro día.
  



  

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario