miércoles, 25 de marzo de 2015

Lesson 44. Please, hold on the line

Freshly every time I had to phone anybody I suffered from panick attacks, cold sweating and I did a sort of training before the call. Many times I'd rather to send an email if the issue could be solved that way despite a phone conversation. Nevertheless beyond a certain point it's better to seize the bull by the horns. A telephone conversation might be a crazy adventure. Firstly the sound quality is worst, you can not look at the other person's mouth, which I usually do in a face-to-face talk and you have to dispense with all the body language information. The first time I was able to resolve something by phone I was very proud of myself.
Whether you have to deal with a public body's interlocutor it becomes a tough task. It's even worst when there's no one at the other end of line but a recorded message "you are calling to the NMC, if you want to apply for an assessment press 1, if you want to make a payment press 2, if you want to renew your license press 3....." and the instructions speech keeps for five minutes when you can not remember what number has to be pressed. Luckily at last you hear (while you give thanks to Heaven), "IF YOU WANT TO SPEAK TO AN OPERATOR, PLEASE HOLD ON THE LINE". Your hopes fall down when the same voice also says: "We are sorry, at this moment all the operators are busy, you are on the queue position 18, as soon as possible you' ll be served. Please hold on the line. Thank you."
What do you mean with position 18???. I'm not hanging on until the Day of the Judgement. I have a life, Mrs. Tinned Voice. Whereas she carry on with her refrain "you are on the queue position 17". OK, you win!!!, I hang the washing (position 15), make the beds (position 14), fill a form (position 12), go on Facebook (position 10), chat on whatsapp (position 8), I'm thirsty -better a beer, I'm going to need it and I'm worth it! (position 7), I write down onions and cheese on the shopping list (6), my right ear is hot and red (5), I water the flowerpot that my son gave me on Mother's Day (4), I open a crisps pack and now my fingers are greasy (great!) ..... I'm finishing the pack when a real person speaks on the other side of the phone: "my name is Katelyn Robson, may I help you?". She caught me off-guard. I swallow the last crisp and I miraculously don't gag on it.  I have to speak up because she doesn't hear me well. "What about if you hang up and try a new call?" ARE YOU JOKING, aren't you???. Listen carefully Katelyn, I'm not ringing off,  neither you. I'll shout if it's necessary.
Suddenly the line was cut off.
Have another beer, I tell myself.
No hace mucho tiempo cada vez que tenía que llamar a alguien por teléfono me daban ataques de pánico, sudores fríos y hacía una especie de entrenamiento previo a la llamada. Muchas veces prefería enviar un correo electrónico si se podía resolver el asunto de ese modo en vez de una conversación telefónica. Sin embargo llegado un momento es mejor coger el toro por los cuernos. Una conversación telefónica puede ser una aventura muy loca. En primer lugar la calidad del sonido es peor, no puedes mirar la boca de la otra persona, lo cual yo suelo hacer en una conversación cara a cara y tienes que prescindir de toda la información del lenguaje corporal. La primera vez que fuí capaz de resolver algo por teléfono me sentí muy orgullosa.
Si tienes que lidiar con un interlocutor de un organismo público, se convierte en una dura tarea. Incluso es peor cuando al otro lado del teléfono no hay nadie sino un mensaje grabado "está usted llamando al NMC, si quiere solicitar una valoración pulse 1, si quiere gestionar un pago pulse 2, si desea renovar su licencia pulse 3..." y el discurso con las instrucciones continúa 5 minutos más cuando ya no puedes recordar qué número has de pulsar. Menos mal que al final oyes (mientras das gracias al Cielo) "SI DESEA HABLAR CON UN OPERADOR POR FAVOR NO CUELGUE". Tus esperanzas se derrumban cuando la misma voz añade: "Lo sentimos, en este momento todos los operadores están ocupados, usted se encuentra en el puesto18 de las llamadas en espera. Será atendido tan pronto como sea posible. Por favor no cuelgue. Gracias".
¿¿¿Qué significa puesto 18???. No voy a esperar hasta el día del Juicio Final. Yo tengo una vida, Sra. Voz Metálica. Mientras ella sigue con el estribillo "está en el puesto 17". ¡¡¡De acuerdo, tú ganas!!! Tiendo la colada (puesto 15), hago las camas (puesto  14), relleno un formulario (puesto 12), me meto en Facebook (puesto 10), chateo por el whatsapp (puesto 8), tengo sed -mejor una cerveza, la voy a necesitar y me lo merezco!!(puesto 7), apunto cebollas y queso en la lista de la compra (6), mi oreja derecha está caliente y roja (5), riego la maceta que me ha regalado mi hijo por el día de la Madre (4) abro un paquete de patatas fritas y ahora mis dedos están pringosos (genial!)...me estoy acabando el paquete cuando alguien real habla al otro lado del teléfono: "Mi nombre es Katelyn Robson, en qué puedo ayudarle?" Me ha pillado desprevenida. Me trago la última patata y milagrosamente no me atraganto. Tengo que elevar el tono de voz porque no me oye bien. "¿Que le parece si cuelga e intenta una nueva llamada?". ESTÁ USTED DE BROMA, no??. Escuche con atención, Katelyn, no voy a colgar ni usted tampoco. Gritaré si es necesario.
De repente la línea se corta.
Tómate otra cerveza, me digo a mí misma.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario